ASD impact areas
- vulnerability/likelihood of the experience occurring
- how it was perceived (both physically and mentally) at the time
- nature of and actions of abuse (e.g. withholding medications, using traits such as hypo/hyper-sensory issues against the person, etc)
- how others reacted to any reference made to it
- how the person was affected by it afterward
- if medical/legal help was attempted
- medical/legal response to person as well as overall experience in those systems
- PTSD likelihood, interactions between trauma and comorbid disorders/common tendencies
- recovery process (support system, services available, ability to obtain etc)
So some of the people who have talked to me have suggested a survey.
I figured I would start brainstorming a list of possible questions/topics for it:
- Do you have a diagnosis of an ASD? Do you believe you should have one?
- How old were you when you were professionally diagnosed? (self diagnosed?)
- Have you even experienced any form of sexual, physical, emotional, of psychological abuse? (if no, continue to question #
- Have you had more than separate experience (with a different abuser)?
- Have you been subjected to ongoing or repeated abuse by one (or a group of) abusers?
- If you feel comfortable, please elaborate as much as you can about the types of abuse.
- At the time of the first incidence, had you been diagnosed with an ASD? (if no, continue to questions #10)
- Was the abuser (or were the abusers) aware of your diagnosis?
- Do you believe that your diagnosis (either their awareness of it or the characteristics you possessed) had an effect on any of the events in a significant way? (continue to question 11)
- Do you think that if you had already received a diagnosis prior to that point it would have affected any of the events significantly?
To be continued…please feel free to give suggestions
*Disclaimer: I have not read all of these nor am I posting them as a sign that I support/agree with all of their views. I hope to read more and be able to post based on endorsement but at this time they are simply what I am finding. Please let me know if there is anything offensive*
General Sexuality and Disability
Sexuality and Autism
Disability and Abuse
Please feel free to comment if you have any suggestions for articles
Top five things you wish happened/didn’t happen in your last doctors appointment?
Top five things you wish people knew in a medical setting about ASDs?